Tuesday, August 17, 2010

we still serve a good god

I love my siblings. I love Katelyn's laugh and the way her eyes light up when she gets really excited about something. I love her God given talent of fashion and design, pulling together outfits I could never dream of pulling off. I love how she truly believes the best of everyone. I love seeing what a humble wife she is for her husband Peter, allowing him to be the head of their household and striving to embody Proverbs 31.

My brother Jonny is one of the coolest guys I know. He is so stinking smart but there is not an ounce of pretension or boastfulness in his body. He is pre-med. He just rocked out summer organic chemistry. Smarty pants. He is so unbelievably gentle with Lila; 20 year old dudes aren't supposed to love holding and cuddling little babies. He is the most solid, selfless friend anyone could ever hope for.

But would I give my life for them? I like to think that I would. I like to sit here and say that I would drop everything to come their rescue, the way a big sister should. But could I give up what Ryan Arnold sacrificed? I first read about Ryan on Tiny Twig's blog. A father of 3 young boys, Ryan agreed to be a living liver donor for his brother, Chad who was dying of liver failure from a disease called PSC. And in a horrible twist, Ryan ended up dying from complications after the surgery while Chad is now recovering with a new liver.

Their father was the one to break the news to Chad while he was still recovering in the hospital. "I've got some bad news. Ryan's gone, but we still serve a good God."
  

Lord, help me to always seek your will and know that my days are yours.
"And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God,
who are called according to his purpose."
~Romans 8:28

2 comments:

Casey Martinez said...

Wow, that is crazy heavy. Oh how my heart aches for the people left behind to miss Ryan...especially his immediate family and children who will never grow up to know their daddy well. I will be praying for this family. The father's words were so amazing. So much to think about...

The Kincaid Family said...

I'm a friend of Casey's from California and love reading your blog. I read this news story last week and it rocked me pretty good. It made me question my faith in God to be able to say, "We still serve a good God" in the midst of the hardest moment of their lives. Thanks for posting this!!