Friday, June 25, 2010

shiny happy people

I am already sensing a problem. Lila loves electronics. All electronics. Or all shiny boxes as we call them. She stares at them as if in a baby coma. It's something about the bright lights. If she is sitting on the couch with me, she will literally turn her head around backwards to stare at the TV.
Yesterday, my mom entertained her for like 15 minutes with my phone while I was getting ready to nurse her. And then she just laid on the bed with her paci staring at my dad's iPad while it played music. Although, honestly who wouldn't want to just sit and stare at the iPad in all its glory?

I think we might have a little TV hound on our hand. I feel so unprepared though. What are the cool shows for babies to watch when she gets a little bit older? I know Baby Einstein is so 2000. What is the awesome, developmentally appropriate shows on the market now?

Don't worry that children never listen to you;
worry that they are always watching you.
~Robert Fulghum

3 comments:

Casey Martinez said...

So funny cuz Daisy loves staring at my cell phone too as long as it is lit up and has a colorful picture on it. How funny that they are so fascinated by TV from such a young age. What does that say? lol. I need to get Daisy some shows too so let me know what you come up with!

Kimberly said...

Well my boys LOVED Elmo and Barney...and were oddly mesmerize by the Teletubbies...i don't promote any of these :-) I can't say they are "developmentally appropriate" but they are kind of fun for awhile until you find yourself talking to you husband in the voices of the characters.

Jess said...

Hi there! I was browsing through Mommy Blogs and stumbled upon yours. I wouldn't worry about finding her a show to watch just yet. All babies love the lights and movement of screens, and my son used to twist his head around backwards too, in order to watch NHL games with us! We have XM radio on our TV, so I like to put it on the jazz station; he can watch the DirecTV logo bump around the screen, but I think the complex musical arrangements are probably good for him (or maybe I just made that up). I think you can make any kids' show educational, if you get involved with your child and talk about what they're watching. At Lila's age, though, it probably doesn't matter much yet!