Thursday, March 17, 2011

slowwwwwwww cooking

I love me some crock pot. So easy to use and makes my house smell so good when I walk in the door from work. But I seem to get in a rut with the same Taco Soup or roast. Which are delicious, don't get me wrong. But I know there are way more things to cook in this round pot of yumminess.

So I asked Brian to get me a new cookbook for Christmas. Don't get all modern feminist on him because I did in fact ASK for it. I had been following Stephanie's blog, A Year of Slow Cooking where she pledged to use her crock pot every day for a year, and loved her recipes.We were having new friends over for dinner on Sunday (love new friends and getting to know each other) and decided to try out a new recipe from her cookbook because I would be gone for most of the day. And the new recipe rocked the house! Hope you it enjoy it as much as we did.

Chipotle Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
-Frozen chicken breasts (we used 6 breasts to feed 4 people and have leftovers)
-10oz sliced fresh mushrooms
-Half of an onion, chopped
-3 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
-2 green onions, chopped
-1 red bell pepper, diced
-1/2 C chicken broth
-1 t chipotle pepper
-1 t paprika
-1/4 t black pepper
-Sour cream to taste (stirred in while serving. this is a crucial ingredient!)

Add the frozen chicken to the crockpot. Prepare the vegetables and add on top of the chicken. Put in the broth and add the spices. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the chicken is done and is beginning to shred. Before serving, stir in the sour cream. Serve over pasta or brown rice.

After all the trouble you go to,
you get about as much actual "food" out of eating an artichoke
as you would from licking 30 or 40 postage stamps.
~Miss Piggy

1 comment:

Casey Martinez said...

I've wanted to try your taco soup crock pot meal for a long time! i'm gonna try it next week! yum!! This one looks yummy too!