Thursday, July 1, 2010

dangerous liaisons

Now that I am a mom, I am experiencing a weird new sense of danger. I constantly scan for things that could hurt Lila or situations that would be unsafe for her. Man, Mommy Sense is way more intense than Spidey Sense. It's this constant wheel in the back of your brain running through your surroundings and shouting "Danger! Danger Will Robinson" every couple of minutes.

The last couple of days I have had two different things happen that could have been way dangerous for Lila. And I didn't even see them coming. I am thinking I am having a dip in my Mommy Senses.

On Monday night, I was out all day driving around doing different errands. Brian got home from work shortly after me and came in the house to tell me that my rear passenger tire was flat on my car. How did that just happen since I got home?? After AAA got to our house to put on our spare, we found out I had a giant screw in the tire that had been there for some time and was causing the inside of the tire to come apart. Basically my tire could have exploded at any moment...like on the HIGHWAY that I had been driving back and forth on all day. With the baby. At high speeds. Thank God we avoided that potentially deadly situation.

Then yesterday, I was having coffee with my best friend Jen. We walked out of Starbucks to go to our cars. I was holding Lila (who was crying because I was too busy talking to realized we had crept past snack time) and then...I straight up fell off the sidewalk. Tripped several feet clutching Lila to my chest. And caught myself just before my body hit the ground. Lila probably just thought we were on a cool roller coaster but Jen and I just stared at each other in absolute horror.

What the heck? I walk through Target and imagine ceramic bowls falling off shelves and hitting her, small children with herculean strength pushing her over in the cart, and AC units blowing too high and causing hypothermia. But yet in the span of 3 days, I almost caused a life threatening car accident and almost dropped my child (or at the very least almost fell holding her). Bad mommy, BAD!

There's a man who leads a life of danger
To everyone he meets he stays a stranger
With every move he makes, another chance he takes
Odds are he won't live to see tomorrow
Secret agent man, Secret agent man
They've given you a number
and taken away your name
~"Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers

No comments: