Tuesday, November 8, 2011

meet me at the fair

One of my favorite things about living in North Carolina is the fall. All of the beautiful colors of the leaves. The swing back and forth between chilly mornings and warm afternoons in the sun. Pumpkin patches on every corner and without question the best thing, the NC State Fair. Growing up in California, we did not have ferris wheel rides and local craft displays, fresh grilled corn and blue ribbon pies. 

Brian and I have been to the fair every year that we have dated (eight years this weekend!) except for the year I was on bedrest all fall when our big night out was a walk down the driveway. Last year, Lila slept through the entire fair while we pushed her in the stroller. 

So this year was super exciting to show her all of our favorite things at the fair. We also got to introduce Brian's family to the state fair, as they have lived in NC their whole life and never been to see the giant butter sculpture. If that's not art, I don't know what is. 

 
Highlights: fried pickles and fried oreos (clearly not consumed at the same time), the NC Farmers display where Lila got to help pick vegetables, local honey sticks. 

Lila's "Fair Hit List": rude people who tried to walk over her stroller, giant pumpkin that was looking at her the wrong way, old saggy men in tank tops, and the adorable newly hatched chicks that were clearly about to attack her with their fuzzy bodies and dangerous beaks.

Meet me in St. Louis, Louis
Meet me at the fair
Don't tell me the lights are shining any place but there
We will dance the Hoochee Koochee
I will be your tootsie wootsie
If you will meet in St. Louis, Louis
Meet me at the fair
~"Meet Me In St. Louis, Louis"

No comments: