Tuesday, July 26, 2011

hula girl worship

I have been trying to find quiet time to recharge and de-stress over the last few weeks in between the busyness. I squeezed a quick trip into our local library with Lila this last weekend for some new books. They just finished our library last fall and it is gorgeous, with lots of natural light, reading nooks, self-check out computers and scanners, toddler toys and craft room. Oh yeah, and the kids book section that has books in bins close to the floor. For toddlers to walk up and down the aisles emptying the bins on to the floor. Genius people. Who apparently like to do a lot of clean up at the end of every day. Perhaps they would like to visit my house if they are still looking for some more pick up work?

On the recommendation of my friend Blair (friend, cough, fabulous lady who's blog I stalk), I picked up a copy of "Such A Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster. Jen is my soul mate. Every time I read one of her books, I stay up reading waaay too late in bed, giggling under my breath while Brian shoots me weird looks for laughing at a book. In this book, Jen talks about her journey to lose weight, a goal I am so feeling right now. 
 "But ever since I made the decision to drop a few pounds - way less easy than it sounds, by the way-  I've become obsessed with my size and in so doing I've inadvertently allowed my inner critic to have a voice. And you know what? She's a bitch. Like now when I see my underpants in the laundry, I no longer think Soft! Cotton! Sensible! Instead I hear her say Damn, girl, these panties be huge." 

My other moments of quiet have been loading up my iPod with new worship music for the car. I get bored with worship music after a while. Which sounds bad because I should be thinking, "Wow, what an awesome song about God that someone wrote and we are still singing it years later." But instead I am driving along thinking, "This song is super old. I used to listed to it on a cassette tape in Roxy, my '88 maroon Honda Civic in high school. I loved that hula girl on the front dash. I wonder when hula girls started being portrayed with coconut bras? They can't be comfortable...oh right, I could sing of your love forever..."

We sang this new worship song, "Song of Moses" by Aaron Keyes at church several weeks ago and loved it. I started singing it in my head all week so I finally gave in and paid the $1.29 so I could listed to it for real and not with the made up words in my head. Love it. Hope it gets you out of your worship song rut as well. 


Praise the Lord, our mighty warrior
Praise the Lord, the glorious one
By his hand we stand in victory
By his name we overcome
~"Song of Moses" by Aaron Keyes

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I also love Jen. I've laughted till I've cried! I have this book, and may have to give it a second read!