Monday, January 10, 2011

PLEASE give me bad customer service

This week, everything Brian and I touched, we broke.  Everything large and electronic. Which means everything expensive. First, Brian's car. Then both of our cell phones. Bleh.

On Tuesday, Brian's car broke down on the way to pick up Lila from day care. 30 minutes away. When I was at the grocery store with a cart full of groceries. Obviously. So I called our day care owner in a panic and of course she told me no problem that we would probably be one hour late (which is why we drive 30 minutes each way to day care). Then I drove out to meet him to wait for the tow truck and then get the little one.

Bad news: Brian's car needs a new transmission. And it is a 1999 so the cost of the transmission is about the value of the car. So even though we clearly do not need to add a car payment into our already tight budget, a new car it is!

The online search and the walking into dealerships to be accosted by 10 guys with too much hair gel and embroidered windbreakers commenced. I hate shopping for cars. Why do all car salesmen feel the need to belittle you and act like you know nothing about vehicles? Why do they all question your decision about what type of car you want? Did I tell you I want to look at a pretty little Volkswagon?

After a hilarious moment with a newly trained car saleswoman locking the keys in a running car, test driving home a car only to realize they gave us a model with no headlights and an empty gas tank and a salesman who tried to convince us that worn tires were a matter of opinion, we have a car.
Isn't she a beauty? It's a Hyundai Santa Fe and I am so excited. Please do not ruin my excitement with comments about your friend's brother's hair dresser who hates her Santa Fe. Only happy thoughts here. And in true wonderful husband fashion, Brian is giving me the new car and taking my old Honda. Love him.

We get to pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday night (depending on the giant snow and sleet storm heading ominously to North Carolina tonight). I am already organizing consoles and pockets in my head. And now, please leave your suggestions for what to name my lovely champagne colored, giant back seat and cargo area car.

Well, life's like a road that you travel on
There's one day here and the next day gone
Sometimes you bend, sometimes you stand
Sometimes you turn your back to the wind
Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way, I wanna drive it all night long
~"Life Is A Highway" by Tom Cochrane

1 comment:

Ash said...

I love love love Hyundai. We just got a Sonata when my Saturn's transmission went out. Good choice!
-Ashley Creech