Monday, January 3, 2011

i'm baaaack

Wow this has been a crazy two weeks. We were gone for Christmas with Brian's family for 3 days, experienced our first Christmas "blizzard", raced home for 3 days of work, mourned with our good friends over the loss of their precious angel Crosby and then rang in the new year with a five day vacation at Kiawah Island with Brian's family. Whew. Just to give you a better picture, my Christmas tree is dead but still decorated in our living room, there are four loads of laundry folded on my couch (clearly not put away in drawers) and all the Christmas gifts are still in bags on the dining room floor.

I will spend the next several days cleaning and THEN I can post Christmas pictures of Lila's adorable face opening presents, her first time in the snow, carriage rides in Charleston and an update on my fabulous new digital camera. I promise you will think it is fabulous too since now you will have so many more shiny, beautiful photos and videos of Lila to ooh and aah over.

I have also spent a lot of time thinking about my new year's resolutions. I don't like to think of these as lofty goals, but more getting back to my beliefs and vows as a wife, mom, employee and Christian woman. I am going to post a new "life truth" at the bottom of each post for the month of January. Please feel free to post your resolutions as comments, as I would love to hear what you aspire to be in 2011!

And since my husband is the most important person in my life, I am dedicating my first truth of 2011 to him. As a mom, I often forget that the center of my world is not the little person I birthed who has rocked my world with early wake up times, new eating and sleeping habits and so much joy it overflows in my heart. The center of my world, other than God, is my rock. My husband who takes care of us and allows God to work through him to provide for our family. In 2011, I will live out the truth of working on my marriage every day and showing him how much I love and appreciate him.

40 Promises for Marriage
~by Steve Stephens
1. Start each day with a kiss.
2. Wear your wedding ring at all times.
3. Date once a week.
4. Accept differences.
5. Be polite.
6. Give gifts.
7. Smile often.
8. Touch.
9. Give back rubs.
10. Laugh together.
11. Send a card for no reason.
12. Do what the other person wants before he or she asks.
13. Listen.
14. Encourage.
15. Know his or her needs.
16. Fix the other person's breakfast.
17. Compliment twice a day.
18. Call during the day.
19. Slow down.
20. Hold hands.
21. Cuddle.
22. Ask for the other's opinion.
23. Show respect.
24. Look your best.
25. Celebrate birthdays in a big way.
26. Apologize.
27. Forgive.
28. Set up a romantic giveaway.
29. Be positive.
30. Be kind.
31. Be vulnerable.
32. Respond quickly to the other person's request.
33. Reminisce about your favorite times together.
34. Treat each other's friends and relatives with courtesy.
35. Send flowers every Valentine's Day and anniversary.
36. Admit when wrong.
37. Be sensitive to each other's sexual desires.
38. Pray for each other daily.
39. Say "I love you" frequently.
40. Seek outside help when needed.

2 comments:

Branson said...

Thank you so much for sharing that! My post today is about marriage, and I love this list! I look forward to more gems this month :)

Casey Martinez said...

I was very blessed to see that you are purposing to focus on your marriage with the start of this new year. I think last year Joey and I got a bit off track after having Daisy. Adjusting to a new person in the house can take a good deal of energy and time! I'm feeling the same marital focus so praise God because I'm sure he is pleased that we desire to bless our hubbys:).