Saturday, December 3, 2011

pot pie time

Thanksgiving was wonderful with our first year cooking a giant turkey in the oven. Which means there was a week full of turkey and cranberry sandwiches and turkey quesadillas. By Tuesday, I was done with the same old turkey. So I decided to try my first hand at a home made turkey pot pie. And it did turn out delicious, if I say so myself. Hope you enjoy some pie yourself this week!
 Turkey Pot Pie
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 c chopped celery
1/3 c butter
1/3 c chopped onions
1/3 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground pepper
1/4 t onion powder
3/4 c chicken broth
2/3 c milk
2 c shredded cooked turkey meat
2 nine inch pie crusts (I used Pillsbury)

-Preheat over to 425 degrees
-Cook the frozen vegetables by boiling them or steaming them in the microwave. 
-Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and celery until both onions are translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and onion powder. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk, letting simmer until it thickens and becomes creamy. Remove from heat and stir in turkey and vegetables into the mixture. 
-Fit one of the pie crusts into the bottom of a 9 inch pie dish. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust until full. Add other pie crust onto the top, smushing together the edges to seal. Cut slits into the top of the pie crust to let steam out. Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil so they don't cook too quickly. 
-Bake for 30 minutes until the center of the pie crust is brown. Enjoy the pie yummyness.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Looks yummy! I did the same thing, last weekend I roasted a nice big turkey for just my little family. We've been eating turkey dishes all week! I also made pot pie for the first time, I adapted Annie's Eat's recipe for Chicken Pot Pie and made 6 individual pies - 4 of which I stuck in the freezer for an easy future meal. I'm loving all the meals I'm getting from one turkey and being able to stick some meals in the freezer that are ready to go!