Sunday, October 2, 2011

head of the class

This weekend was my 10 year high school reunion. Which makes me old. Or at least so old that I feel weird standing around talking about marching band and who has the good parking spot in the Senior Lot. I was friends with a lot of different groups of people in high school, but the majority of my good friends graduated the year prior to me. So there was no one I was dying to catch up with this weekend but I wanted to go because it seemed like one of these things you would regret if you didn't do. I feel like Facebook has almost made reunions obsolete because we already know who gained weight, who lost weight, who is balding, who has cute kids, who is married (or divorced) and what we have all "done" with our lives. 
Our high school had a cute idea and started the reunion with a potluck barbecue at a local park so we could all bring our kids. Funny enough, most of the kids there were born within 9 months of each other. So there were two dozen 1-2 year olds running around and stealing each other's juice boxes. I wanted to bring something super yummy so I decide to fuel my Pinterest addiction and look for the perfect fall recipe. And I succeeded with this Pumpkin Dump Cake. 

  • 1 15 oz can Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 10 oz can Evaporated Milk
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter melted
  • 1 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers
  • 1/2 cup toffee bits

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Spray a 9×13 baking pan lightly with cooking/baking spray
  3. In a large bowl combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine.
  4. Pour into your prepared pan.
  5. Sprinkle your entire box of cake mix on top, followed by graham crackers and toffee chips.
  6. Pour your melted butter evenly on top.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes until center is set and edges are lightly browned.
I ended up overcooking the cake just a little bit because the edges were brown but the center still seemed a little wobbly so I kept it in another 5. Next time, I will take it out right at 45 minutes since the top became too crunchy when overcooked.

That night we dropped Lila off at Mimi and G's for a sleepover and got all dressed up. We out to sushi by ourselves and enjoyed spending some time just the two of us. And then joined the rest of our class for the late night. Maybe I am really old if I think 9pm-midnight is late. It was fun to see everyone and hear about their lives, but it was funny to see the people who I could have discussed gossip with for hours 10 years ago and now we struggled to have 15 minute conversations. I left being thankful for the friendships I now have based on how God works in our lives, yummy martinis that I only drink once in a blue moon, and a sweet husband who introduces himself first to the people with no nametag so I don't have to pretend to remember their name. 

Seventeen only comes once in a lifetime
Don't it just fly by wild and free
Going any way the wind blew baby
Seventeen living on crazy dreams
Rock and roll and faded blue jeans
And standing on the edge of everything
~"Seventeen" by Tim McGraw

No comments: