Sunday, October 17, 2010

nursery rhymes

I don't know why it was such a big deal. She goes to daycare two days a week and has stayed with tons of family and friends. It's not like I am not used to handing her to new people. So I don't know why it was such a big deal to walk into the nursery. 

Maybe it is all those Sundays I stood in church watching parents walk their babies down the hallway to Sunday School. Maybe it is because I love holding her so much while I worship. Maybe it is because there is a little proud part of me that loves how cute she is and how everyone loves playing with her in our row. 

But it was time. The last few weeks have been a crazy juggling act to keep her on my lap and not loudly talking throughout the service. She can sit up now and needs other babies to play with. So I stalled all through worship today and fed her a bottle and then I finally had no more excuses. I walked her back and got her first Sunday School sticker ever.
And then I walked into the nursery room and God said, "See? It's okay." Our good friend Candace, an amazing mother of two little ones and a kindergarten teacher to boot, stood smiling at the door. How could I have picked a better first teacher for Lila? And then I walked back into service and sat with my coffee and prayed for God to work in Lila's heart over the thousands of Sunday mornings to come.

Direct your child onto the right path
and when they are older, they will not leave it.
~Proverbs 22:6

No comments: