Friday, December 17, 2010

gross motor skills

Someone is 17lbs 10oz! And 28 inches long. And is just having too much fun babbling and waving to everyone and eating food to worry about gross motor skills like pulling up on furniture. Lila's pediatrician has this fun form we get to fill out online where we get to talk about all her skills. Which is nice for her to understand how Lila is doing. And fun for me to find out that playing peek a boo without me coaxing her is an actual skill. Way to go Lila!

The pediatrician said Lila is staying right on track at 25th percentile weight and 50th percentile height. Long and skinny. Just (NOT) like her mama. She also suggested that we should try a new type of sippy cup for Lila. She loves drinking water but has a hard time holding her cup upside down. So off we went to Target looking for a sippy cup with a straw. Did you know there is a whole aisle at Target dedicated to baby cups? Is that really necessary?
I am hoping this straw will be both fun, helpful and developmentally stimulating for my child. I realized at this doctors appointment that I have finally stopped freaking out about everything Lila does. I used to bring lists to the appointments. And ask questions I already knew the answer to just to get some assurance. But this time, I just wanted to brag about my girl. Does that mean I am getting more comfortable and confidant as a mom? Or am I just too busy to type lists for the doctor? Either way, there is something about watching your daughter waive and laugh at her doctor that makes me feel proud as a mom. I guess I might be doing something right.

Children keep us in check. Their laughter prevents our hearts from hardening.
Their dreams ensure we never lose our drive to make ours a better world.
They are the greatest disciplinarians known to mankind.
~Queen Rania of Jordan

1 comment:

Wagner Family said...

Caroline never got the bottle or sippy cup. We went straight to straw cups. One thing that helped her get it was using juice boxes. I could push the juice out, then she would taste it and start sucking. Only took a few tries, not so much that she got addicted to juice. And of course at that point she was too young to ask for it, too. Good luck!