Thursday, September 23, 2010

i wish they all could be california girls

Going out to LA for my grandma's funeral was emotional on so many levels. It was about losing my last grandparent. It was about saying goodbye to my grandpa, since I did not get to go to his funeral 5 years ago. But it was also about introducing Lila to my home town. Showing her where I spent the first 10 years of my life.
And most importantly, it was about sharing the goodness of In-N-Out. Oh sweet cheeseburger with grilled onions, how I have missed you.
After burger time, Lila got to dip her toes in the Pacific Ocean for the first time. Fittingly, it was also her 6 month birthday. How many kids can say they have played in both oceans in the first 6 months of their life?
We spent plenty of time just hanging out at the beach, which is our family's favorite place. Just walking along the strand. Oh yeah, and playing the "which house would I live in if I was super rich" game.
Just a simple home on the ocean. Perfect for a small, humble family. Say what??? This place was out of control.
But most of all, I got to show Lila off to all our family and friends. Meeting all of the people who have prayed for her so hard for so many months. It was so fun to see all my worlds collide. The past and the future, all in one room.

California girls, we're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce, we got it on lock
West coast represent, now put your hands up
Oooooh oh oooooh
~"California Gurls" by Katy Perry

2 comments:

Abigail said...

LOVED seeing your burger. We're getting one of those near me really soon and I'm STOKED!!!

Casey Martinez said...

k, I'm drooling now. I want IN N Out SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad!!